top of page
A Brief History of the Parish

Beannu na gCeadta

A Church is said to have been situated in Ballymah in early Christian times (600AD) - the oldest known church in the area is believed to have been located in Ballinvrinsig from where it was relocated to Corbally in the 6th or 7th Century.  This Church appears in Diocesan records from 1302 to 1591.  Inniskenny Parish Church ceased to be used in 1615.  The first post reformation church was built in 1720 on Logans Hill beside on Boithrin an tSeipeal (Church Road) and was in use until 1821.

Events in Parish History (A Bried Synopsis)

1821-1831  Church was built in Ballinora with the leadership of Fr. Peter McSweeney

1841          Ballinora School on the same site as today 

1845          Famine times and the ministry and death of Fr. James Prior who is buried outside the main door.

1850-1861  The Viaduct and Waterfall Station was built

1860            References to Bowl Playing in the area

1860          Stained glass window with Fr. David Horgans name

1874          Bell and Bell Tower with inscription "Erin go Brath" was installed

1901          Plaque to Canon McCarthy PP was erected

1924          Ballinora GAA was formally established 

1931          Holy Water Fonts dedicated to Eithne Dineen, Sraleigh

1932          Ballinora Camogie Club was formally established

1944         Waterfall TUG-O-WAR team won the Munster Championship

1951          Bishop Cornelious Lucey visits him Home Parish.

1951          Pioneer Association and ICA was founded

1954          Waterfall Harrier Club was formed

1955          The Church roof was replaced

1959          The Grotto at Curraheen Village was built by voluntary labour and blessed by Fr. Richard Cronin PP

1976          Ballinora GAA Club acquired a new pitch

1979          Richmond FC was founded

1979          Further major renovations were carried out on the Church

1982          Ballinora Red Cross was established

1983          Ballinora GAA Hall was officially opened

1986          New Parish of Ballinora was set up by Fr. W. Dineen PP and was dedicated to St. James.  Various ministries were instituted

                       such Ministers of Word, Eucharist, Maintenance and Alter Society 

1990          Ballinora Scouting Unit was formed

1992          "Ballinora Parish - Past and Present" A History of the Parish by Ballinora ICA was published

1996          Bishop Buckley confers the 'Bene Merenti' Papal Medal on Maura Hegarty, Sacristan

2005          Parish Council and Assembly was established with Canon Donal Linehan PP, Special Liturgy and Faith Development and

                       Newsletter Groups were formed

2006          'Ballinora GAA - Under the Dropping Ball' - By Michael O'Connor was published

2009          Freedom of Cork City was conferred on St. Eucharia Buckley, Ballyshoneen and on Canon Denis O'Connor, Ballineaspaig

2009          Re-Dedication of the Church by Bishop John Buckley following a major restoration

2012          Canon Donal Linehan retires having served as Parish Priest for 14 years and Fr. Declan Mansfield takes over as successor.

2019          Death of Canon Donal Linehan following a short illness

2020          Ballinora joins the digital era and the Ballinora Facebook Page and Website are established

2022          Ballinora Parish entered a new era, when we joined the family of Parishes, Ballinora/Ballincollig/Ovens & Farron.  During 

                      this time Fr. Mansfield was transferred to Marymount Hospice to continue his great work there.  Fr. John Collins moved

                      to the Parish as Assistant Priest.  As a Family of Parish we are lucky to have 5 wonderful priests serving our communities.

                      Fr. Alan O'Leary (PP), Fr. Liam Ó'hIcí (PP), Fr. Kamil Bachara (CC), Fr. Ronan Sheehan (CC), Fr. John Collins (AP)

2023          The Church bell gets automated.

2023          Bishop Gavin confers the 'Bene Merenti' Papal Medal to Carmel Drinan and Michael Galvin for Long Service to The Irish

                      Pilgrimage Trust

2023             Deacon Frank McDevitt joins the Family of Parishes Ballinora/Ballincollig/Ovens and Farran

bottom of page