The Parish of Ballinora is situated 4km W.S.W. of Cork City in an idyllic setting, consisting of several streams and rolling pastures that are ideally suited to tillage and grazing.
Consisting of 14 townlands, it is one of the smallest rural parishes in Ireland. The parish is bordered to the North by the flat plains of the River Lee and its tributary – the Curraheen River. To the East lies the townland of Ardarostig and the parish of Curraheen and to the South and West lies the higher ground of Old Abbey and Coran – known as ‘The Mountain’ in the Parish of Ballinhassig.
Horgans Glen was planted in the late 50s by the Forestry Department. Hunting was conducted in the area for hundreds of years and the Waterfall Harrier Club was formed in 1954.
Quiet country roads made the area ideal for bowl playing as far back as 1860. Since 1925, tournaments were organised from No. 8 Bridge to the Slate House in Inniskenny.
Recent developments include the construction of houses at Ballymah, known as Heatherfield and Earlswell and houses across from the Church known as Woodside.
There are 650 families that now resident in the Parish with many more in neighbouring townlands that actively participate in the activities of the Parish and of the School.